Freemasonry in Maine 1762 - 1945

Author:  Ralph J. Pollard

>> Next Page

Picture of Josiah DrummondJosiah Hayden Drummond, Twenty-first Grand Master

No person in Maine ever attained the prominence both inside and outside the State as Most Worshipful Brother Josiah H. Drummond. Born in Winslow, Maine, August 30, 1827, he was educated at Waterville (now Colby) College, from which he was graduated with Phi Beta Kappa honors in 1846. He read law, was admitted to the bar and began practicing in California, but soon returned to Waterville, where he continued to practice until about 1860, when he moved to Portland, and in his new abode civil and political honors were heaped upon him almost as lavishingly as Masonic honors were accorded him by his Brethren. He was in close touch with all the city's beneficial and charitable societies and institutions. Brother Drummond was initiated into Masonry in Waterville Lodge, January 1, 1849. Two months after he held his first Masonic office, acting as Secretary pro tern, and the records of the lodge of that date are written by his hand. He always retained his membership in the lodge in which he first found Masonic light, and over which he presided as Master in 1855. In 1858, he was elected Deputy Grand Master, in which office he served two years, and in 1860 was chosen Grand Master, succeeding himself in 1861 and 1862. There was scarcely an executive office in any Masonic body in Maine, or outside of Maine, which he did not fill during his lifetime. For more than thirty years he wrote the correspondence report of the Grand Lodge, Grand Chapter and Grand Council, and in those writings became famous the world over. Brother Drummond died almost instantly on the street in Portland, October 25, 1902. and was buried by the Grand Lodge in special communication of sorrow, October 28th, M. W. Grand Master Kimball officiating.

Picture of William PrebleWilliam Pitt Preble, Twenty-second Grand Master

William Pitt Preble was born in Portland, April 15, 1819, a son of one of the oldest and most distinguished families in that city. He studied law and became one of the prominent members of the bar in this county. He was for many years Clerk of the United States District Court of Portland. Brother Preble was initiated in Ancient Land-Mark Lodge, No. 17, in 1854. He was exalted in Mount Vernon Chapter; greeted in Boston Council, R. & S. M.; and knighted in Portland Commandery. He assisted in organizing, and was a charter member of all the following bodies of Portland: Atlantic Lodge, No. 81; Greenleaf Chapter, No. 13; Portland Council, No. 4; St. Alban Commandery, No. 8, and Blanquefort Commandery, No. 13. He was Master of Atlantic Lodge three years, in 1855, 1856 and 1857; and was Grand Master of the Grand Lodge in 1863, 1864 and 1865. He also served as Grand King of the Grand Chapter of Maine, in 1864; as Grand Principal Conductor of Work in the Grand Council of Maine, in 1859 and 1864; and as Deputy Grand Commander of the Grand Commandery of Maine in 1869. In the Ancient and Accepted Scottish Rite, he devoted much time and energy, serving as Most Wise Master of Dunlap Chapter of Rose Croix, and was made a member of Supreme Council, Thirty-third degree, in 1862. Brother Preble lived the last twenty-five years of his life in Brooklyn, N. Y., and died there October 23, 1911, at the advanced age of ninety-two years.

Picture of Timothy MurrayTimothy J. Murray, Twenty-third Grand Master

Timothy J. Murray was born in New Market, N. H., September 23, 1820, and died in Brooklyn, N. Y., February 2, 1888. He was a druggist by occupation, and engaged in that business in Saco, and afterwards in Portland. In 1866 and 1867 he was an Inspector of Internal Revenue, and from 1871 to 1883 he was a clerk in the Portland Custom House. In early manhood he became interested in Freemasonry, and received his degrees in Saco Lodge. He later became a member of Portland Lodge, and served on the Board of Masonic Trustees. It was proposed to make him an honorary member of Portland Lodge, but at his request, the proposition was withdrawn and he was elected to life membership. He maintained his interest in the order, especially in its esoteric work, till the close of life, and during lifetime was chosen to occupy many offices of dignity and trust. He was much in demand as a speaker at Masonic gatherings. After serving, with much acceptance, in various subordinate positions, he was elevated to the Grand Mastership in 1866, and re-elected in 1867 and 1868. In Grand Chapter he rose to the position of Deputy Grand High Priest in 1864. He was Grand Master of the Grand Council in 1861 and 1862, and presided over the Grand Commandery in 1864 and 1865. He held the office of Grand Lecturer for many years until he removed from the State. Though his work was not perfect in all respects, he made a deep and lasting impression upon the Craft.

Picture of John LyndeJohn H. Lynde, Twenty-fourth Grand Master

John H. Lynde was born in Pomfret, Vermont, December 18, 1827. His parents moved to Maine while he was yet a very small child, and took up residence in Kenduskeag, where young John received his early education in the public schools. As a boy he possessed a desire to become a printer, and at first opportunity engaged in learning that business. Later he became proprietor of the Bangor Whig and Courier, one of the old established newspapers of the City of Bangor, retaining management of the same until his death. Brother Lynde was made a Mason in St. Andrew's Lodge, No. 83, in Bangor, 1859. He served as Worshipful Master in 1861 and 1862, and was Grand Master in 1869, 1870 and 1871. He was a member of Mount Moriah Royal Arch Chapter, Bangor Council and St. John's Commandery, and was also active in the Bangor bodies of the Ancient and Accepted Scottish Rite, and was made an Honorary Member of the Supreme Council, Thirty-third Degree, in 1871. By overwork and too close attention to business his health began to fail during the summer and fall of 1873, and by the advice of his physician he went to Savannah, Ga., in the fall of that year, hoping the change of climate might be beneficial. He continued however, to decline, and on March 12, 1874, news came clicking over the wire to his sorrowing friends in Maine that John H. Lynde was dead. His body was brought North and buried in the family lot in Bangor by the M. W. Grand Lodge of Maine, Past Grand Master Josiah H. Drummond, officiating.

>> Next Page